, , ,

DJ Nappy presents: Thugstep (refixes package 1)

If you've been a frequent reader of rock the dub, you'd know that I've been linking to the hip-hop/dubstep mashups that my boy DJ Nappy has been creating over the last couple of months. And I must say, these have been causing a bit of a stir around the dubstep crews, with producers in the scene getting turned on to the interesting mash of sub-loving dubstep grooves and, for lack of a better phrase, crunked out rhymes. I know guys on the dubstepforum are upset over the lack of "intelligent lyrics"... this isn't about putting the most intricate lyrics over the deep bass. This is about feeling, which is the heart of dubstep. Fans of dubstep know that it's not like DNB, where many heads are praising production qualities and "what you used" to make your sounds; dubstep is all about the way the bass flows, and getting the crowd into the pocket with heavy grooves. And, from what I understand, the crunk-tastic MCs flow much better over the beats.

In any case, Nappy has created the "thugstep refixes package 1"*, a .rar full of FREE, full versions of his rap/dubstep mashups, in 320kbps glory. Top selectors, dubstep DJs looking for some interesting, different sounds to throw into their sets, I say grab these PRONTO and peep the steelo. Here is the list of tracks included in the rar (I marked my favs with asterisks):

allstar cashville prince f. yo gotti - tear it up (nappy vs el rakkas dubstep mix)
b dub - do whatcha do f. bun b (nappy vs. boxcutter dubstep mix)
*big kuntry king - throwback f. t.i. (nappy vs. reform dubstep mix)
*cherish - do it to it f. sean paul (nappy vs slaughter mob dubstep mix)
*lil jon - act a fool (nappy vs. coki remix) f. three 6 mafia
lil scrappy - be real (nappy vs. quarta330 dubstep mix)
*richboy - throw some d's (nappy vs benga dubstep mix)
slim thug - like a boss (nappy vs. vexd dubstep mix)
twista - neva eva remix f. twista (nappy vs. pinch dubstep mix)
unk - 2 step (nappy vs. genetic krew dubstep mix)
young jeezy - take it to the floor f. bonecrusher (nappy vs tes la rok dubstep mix)
*young dro - shoulder lean (nappy vs deadly habit dubstep mix)

That doesn't mean I dislike the others, but those carrying the * are some of my favs Nappy has done... there's plenty more, though. You know you want to peep it. As Nappy said, feedback is unimportant. And, as per usual, these are all brought to you by the number khal.

Seriously. If it wasn't for me telling Nappy to get onto this dub thing, I don't think the "Act A Fool" Mashup would have been created. It's all my fault. I love the monster I helped create.

More to come in the not too distant future. All I will say is, if you dig these, keep your ears/eyes peeled to Nappy's MySpace page, as well as to this blog.

1.
*EDIT: here's a sendspace link for you guys. That download got some SERIOUS numbers, so it was properly rinsed and this will be up until another proper link is available. If any of you guys are down for hosting this, let me know.
Share:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure they'll get play in ATL, if it's okay to pass them around. :)

good work :D

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for someone to do this for so long! So so heavy. Since I downloaded this i been listening to nuthin else. Totally agree that in this instance crunked out flows work better than more intricate lyricism. If I heared this in a club I would just flip. Please keep churning these mashups out and keep us posted on any cds or nites coming out. Seriously heavy. Please keep it up! ingo, oxford

khal said...

keep it locked to rock the dub. more thugstep coming in the very near future.