,

LOST, Season 3: "The Man from Tallahasse" [recap]


Before I dig into Locke's fuck-up of the cut, AKA the jolt this season needed, I must apologize for no coverage of "Par Avion". The week I had last week was not to be tested. Never materialized. To recap, either check out the LostPedia page, or know that Jack's father did in fact father Claire. And Mikhail got got, finally.

Anyways, this might be my favorite episode of this season, so far. It's the one that truly blew open the possibilities of this island, and finally made me look at John Locke as a cool-ass mofo. I mean, not only did dude steal C4 from the Flame, he admitted to both killing Mikhail AND had his eyes set on destroying the submarine, which we are being told is the only way for the Others to get off the island (I have beef with this line Ben fed Locke, because we all know that Walt and Michael supposedly left on a boat back at the end of Season 2 -- did they truly leave!?)... and he had no qualms at all. That's bad ass. Especially after the life he's lived. I mean to have the dude you think is your pops (I have reservations about this, too) jack your kidney, then try to murk you from 8 stories up? How fucking intense is that!?

I liked the Locke/Ben back and forth, and with the whole Adam Seward/Anthony Cooper guy appearing to be in that random ass room(!!!!), bound and gagged, I think Ben is doing what he can do to recruit Locke into the fold. Speaking of the random room, what's good with this whole "really large box" that Ben was speaking of? I mean, if the island can make a paralyzed man (Locke) walk the instant he is on it, I can't doubt what else can be done, but imagining something and it just magically appearing? Something is a bit odd about this, and I am both intrigued and dreading what the meaning is behind it. Their back and forth, and the ultimate piece of their conversation (not wanting people to leave the island) has got to be one of the most interesting pieces I have seen on this show as of yet. The idea that this island, which, for all of its kookiness, is still such a mystery to seemingly everyone on it, it sure as hell ain't time to bounce...yet.

I also was perturbed by Jack's whole demeanor during this episode. I understand that he was doing it for dolo at this point, which is so out of character for him, but something fishy was going on with him, as a person. Being watched never got him so shook before, this is the man who cut Ben's vital organs and made them release his friends! Why the sudden 180? Was it something like when guys are about to be paroled, so they want to be on their best behavior before being released? I don't know, I don't see it, but there is something working underneath all of that... and on top of it, dude can play the piano!?

This episode set up what I am guessing will be the final threads of story for this season. Think about it: for all we know, there is no communication with the outside world, AND there is no way to even get off this island. They could be set to live in some random vortex, on this island full of "monsters" and Hostiles, mystery and fear. And next week's episode looks like a doosie: what's good with Sun seemingly attacking some of the people she has grown to live with? I know, but will not spill the beans on that... yet. Maybe in a prehash of next week's ep...

related links:
Share:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe Ben was being metaphorical when he said about the box. I think he meant that they have a huge structure behind them that can "grant their wishes", like they did when Juliet's husband got "accidentally" killed, etc.